tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 01 07:45:40 2007

Re: KLBC: Some more clueless questions

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 08:00 AM Friday 6/1/2007, Aaron Lewis wrote:
>Thanks for your answers to my earlier questions, everyone.  They were very
>useful, and now I have a few more.
>
>wej means "not yet".  Does it have a counterpart meaning "still"?  (For
>example, how might I say "I'm still waiting"?)

There's no adverbial, but use the verb suffix {-taH} "continuous, ongoing"
(cf. TKD p.42 for details).  We have an example:

   DIHIvlaHtaHvIS DaH DIHIvnIS!
   Attack them now, while we still can! ST6

In fact, a good test when using {-taH} is to add the words "still" or "keep
on" before the verb to  see if your thought remains substantially the
same.  So: {jIloS} "I'm waiting" vs. {jIloStaH} "I'm still waiting (I wait
continuously)".

>Is ghojmoHwI' an acceptable (canonical) word for "teacher"?

Yes.  I don't think it officially appears in canon, but Klingonists and the
KLI have been using this nomen agentis of {ghojmoH} "teach, instruct" for
as long as I can remember.

>We have QaD "dry", chIm "empty" and jen "high".  Are there Some acceptable
>(canonical) words for "wet", "full" and "low"?

{yIQ}  "be wet

{buy'} "be full, be filled up".  This is not the same as {naQ} "be
full/whole/entire" (e.g. "wait a full day").

{'eS}  "be low".  Note that {'eS} and {jen} apparently refer to things,
while {woch} "be tall (in stature)" and {run} "be short (in stature)" seem
to refer to people.

>Does teq "take off, remove" prefer specifically to clothes? Is it
>substitutable for tuQHa'maH?

We don't know since {teq} has never been used in a sentence.  {tuQHa'moH}
"undress, take off" has been used once:

   {qogh} "ear", of course is homophonous with {qogh}, "belt"... This homophony
   explains why the Klingon slang expression {qogh tuQmoHHa'}, literally
"take off
   one's belt" is used to mean "to not hear", for example, {qogh
vItuQmoHHa'pu'}
   "I've taken off my belt; your secret is safe with me."             [HQ 2.4]

Note the "incorrect" order of the suffixes; we would expect
{tuQHa'moH}.  We're not sure what this means, if anything.

We have a few more examples of {tuQ} "wear (clothes)":

   mIv DaS je tuQ ra'wI'
   The commander is wearing a helmet and a boot. KGT

   qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
   The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

   tuQtaHvIS Hem.  ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
   He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

>I don't understand whether tuQmoH and tuQHa'moH are transitive or
>intransitive.

Your instincts are right; there's been some discussion of this and other
verbs with {-moH} over the years.  Although we have no examples of
{tuQmoH}, from the HQ example {qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'} it appears to be
transitive.

Good questions all.  yIgheltaH! ("Keep on asking [questions]!")  This list
has been too quiet of late.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons