tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 22 19:53:17 2007

Re: using {Hoch} (was Re: Wool? In tlhIngan Hol?)

ja' Voragh:

> ghunchu'wI' is spot on WRT how {Hoch} works, although his example
> {SuvwI'
> Hoch}, though grammatical, sounds a bit odd.  Perhaps a more common
> way to say this would be {SuvwI' naQ} "an entire warrior" using the
> quality {naQ} "be full, be whole, be entire".

That's not quite the same thing.  {SuvwI' naQ} is talking about the
warrior (who is whole).  It would contrast with a partial or broken
warrior.  {SuvwI' Hoch} is talking about the whole (of the warrior).
It would contrast with a part of a warrior.

I did remember another useful example of {Hoch} in the second sense,
from TKW: {nIn Hoch natlhlu'pu'} "all of the fuel has been expended."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level