tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 20 15:19:04 2007

Re: using {Hoch} (was Re: Wool? In tlhIngan Hol?)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghunchu'wI':

>Partitive:  If you're talking about "all of" a single thing, it looks
>like the {Hoch} comes second.  The {HochHom} example is the best
>evidence I know of to support that interpretation.  If you can
>replace the word "all" by "entirety", do it that way: {SuvwI' Hoch}
>"the entirety of the warrior", "the warrior's all".

ghunchu'wI' is spot on WRT how {Hoch} works, although his example {SuvwI'
Hoch}, though grammatical, sounds a bit odd.  Perhaps a more common way to
say this would be {SuvwI' naQ} "an entire warrior" using the quality {naQ}
"be full, be whole, be entire".  We have one example of {naQ} from the BoP
Poster:

   cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
   2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck     (KBoP)

Note that here a full(-length) deck {choQ naQ} is compared with a half deck
{bID choQ}.  This makes sense if you've seen the poster.

Finally there is another noun {Dol} "entity, a whole", used once in canon:

   wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap
   We succeed together in a greater whole. (TKW p.209)

   ["Do you know why we are so strong? Because we are a unit. Each
    of us is part of a greater whole."  (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level