tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 16 07:40:30 2007

Re: Back scratcher?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>ja' maHvatlh:
> > Has anyone come up with a way to talk about scraching (or itching)?

ghunchu'wI':
>{tey} scrape (v)

Scraping and scratching are mentioned passim in KGT and TKW:

   It does not matter whether this recording is visual, digital, scratches in
   stone, or marks on paper.  (TKW 179)

   Statues are carved of stone ({nagh}, "rock, stone") by various techniques.
   Thus, among other things, the sculptor ({Hew chenmoHwI'} [literally, "statue
   creator") may {nan} ("gouge"), {tey} ("scrape"), or {ghItlh} ("engrave").
   To apply these techniques, specialized tools are employed: the {nanwI'}
   ("chisel"; literally, "gouger"), {teywI'} ("file"; literally, "scraper"),
   and {ghItlhwI'} ("stylus").  (KGT 79)

   ... a fungus (known as {'atlhqam}) usually scraped off the bottom of certain
   animals' feet, though it also grows on trees.  (KGT 92)]

I think {tey} - and its nomen agentis {teywI'} - is the closest verb we can
find:  *{Dub teywI'} "back scraper".  As for "itch", I think the best we
can do is {'oy'} "ache, hurt, be sore" -- {loQ 'oy'}:

   loQ 'oy'DI' SuvwI' bepbe'
   A warrior does not complain about physical discomfort. TKW

   The Federation Standard word "discomfort" somewhat distorts the meaning
of the
   Klingon, which refers to a warrior "aching slightly."  (TKW 46)

but since Klingon warriors don't normally discuss such things, it is hardly
likely to come up in conversation.  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons