tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 14 05:02:50 2007

Re: Back scratcher?

In a message dated 7/13/2007 9:05:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I was recently asked how I would translate "back scratcher" into
> Klingon, and is now wondering if anyone here would have anything to
> input on the matter. -- Just to clarify: I am talking about a tool
> used to scratch ones back in the quite literal sense, so not a
> metaphor or any such thing.
>
> I was thinking {Dub pach} or maybe {Dub naQ} -- but that would
> probably be understood as a claw or cane belonging to the back,
> qar'a'? (Or maybe, in case of {pach}, as a claw growing out of the
> back?)
>
> Has anyone come up with a way to talk about scraching (or itching)?
>
> Maybe {belmoHmeH naQ/pach}?
>
> /maHvatlh

A back scratcher refers to the back only because one can't reach one's own
back with one's own hands very easily, not because it has anything specifically
to do with the back.  Thus I suggest {ghop wejDIch} (third hand).

Itching and scratching are more challenging.

lay'tel SIvten   </HTML>

Back to archive top level