tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 31 11:51:21 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for January 27, 2006

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5 wrote:

>   pIn: {'aSoq van'a'wIj 'aghmeH ngaSwI' yIje'.} (1)
>  Boss: "Asok, your assignment is to buy a display case
>         for our awards."

For an awards display we have {quv bey'} "Honor Display".  According to KCD
there are three types of {bey'} "ceremonial display" found in Klingon
houses:  {betleH bey'} "bat'leth Display", {nuH bey'} "Pride of Weapons" (a
ceremonial display of weapons), and the {quv bey'} "Honor Display".  How
the {quv bey'} differs from the {nuH bey" is unknown - they both seemed to
contain a slightly different assortment of weapons.  I would imagine that
other things might be displayed in the {quv bey'} such as awards, medals,
commendations, etc.  So {quv bey' ngaSwI'} "Honor Display container".

   'aSoq, Qu'lIj:  quv bey' ngaSwI' yIje'.
   Asok, your assignment:  Buy an Honor Display container.

   'aSoq, Qu'lIj:  van'a'maj ngaSmeH quv bey' yIje'.
   Asok, your assignment:  Buy an Honor Display to contain our award(s).

   'aSoq, quv bey' ngaSwI' yIje' vIneH.
   Asok, I want you to buy an Honor Display container.

   'aSoq, van'a'maj ngaSmeH quv bey' yIje' vIneH.
   Asok, I want you to buy an Honor Display to contain our award(s).

A related verb is {Suq} "acquire, obtain, get".

>   pIn: {vaj van'a' SuyDaq van'a'meyqu' yIje' pagh wIghajmo'.}
>  Boss: "Then go to the awards store and buy a bunch of
>         awards because we don't have any."

{vaj} is "therefore, thus".  Use the adverbial {ghIq} "then, and then,
after that, by then, subsequently".

For "bunch of" use the noun {'op} "some, an unknown or unspecified
quantity" followed by a singular noun.  Our one example:

   'ej DujvamDaq 'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law'
po' puS
   It [IKC Pagh] has... some of the finest warriors in the Klingon fleet. S7

Also, I would put the subordinate clause first:

   ghIq pagh wIghajmo', van'a' Suyvo' 'op van'a' yIje'.
   Then because we have none, buy some awards from the awards merchant.

A related noun is {tev} "prize".

>  'aSoq: {DaH ghob wem nIvqu' 'oHbogh van'a' 'aghmeH ngaSwI'
>          tebchoHghachvaD van'a' vIje' vIneH.} (3)
>   Asok: "The next one is for 'Best Unethical Filling of
>          Awards Showcase.'"
>
>I tried to make sentence (3) into "award for filling of awards
>showcase which is the best violation of ethics," but I'm not sure if I
>did it right.

I'm going to have to give this some thought, but for "unethical" the
obvious choice is the adverbial {batlhHa'} "dishonorably".  E.g.:

   batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu'
   One does not achieve honor while acting dishonorably. TKW

   Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh, pagh ghaH
SuvwI''e'
   If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal, he is
nothing. TKW

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons