tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 22 08:36:18 2007

{nech} solved?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

I was watching the re-mastered first TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone
Before" yesterday when I heard Kirk order "Lateral power!"  This was a
command to the helmsman to bank the ship starboard (or port) using the
impulse engines after attempting to penetrate the {qIBHeS} "galactic
rim".  (As usual, the Enterprise's warp-drive was out of commission during
an emergency.)

Although there are no surprises here, this is very likely the origin of
{nech} "be lateral, move laterally" which I don't remember ever hearing
again.  (Anyone else remember someone referring to "lateral" movement
elsewhere in Trek?)

Related verbs include {Don} "be parallel, go parallel to" and {SaS} "be
horizontal".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons