tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 13 14:44:20 2007

Re: Why Do You Study Klingon?

ja' ...Paul:

> I chalk that up to "smugness", really.

juqIch.

> ...If it was a true community, I'd expect evolution to take place,
> but this is being actively railed against.

Do you disagree with the reasoning behind the policy of not making
our own changes to the Klingon language?  If we want this 'community'
to be inclusive, ideally we should want anyone to be able to learn to
speak Klingon using only the published materials (TKD and KGT).
Encouraging evolution is contrary to that goal.

If we had even a few hundred active speakers participating regularly,
I'd go along with the point vIghro' made about English changing on
its own.  But I firmly believe we are too few to have the luxury of
letting natural forces work; the statistical sample size is
insufficient, and individuals' effects are too great.  We can't
afford anything that would result in dialects undocumented by the
reference books.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level