tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 12 19:18:31 2007

Re: Why Do You Study Klingon?

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 [email protected] wrote:
> In a message dated 1/12/2007 8:41:59 PM Central Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>> I'm curious what other people "get" out of studying Klingon, particularly
>> some of the long-timers, like Alan and Steven, Terrence and DloraH...
>>

> 'IH Steven?

Boozer (Voragh)

> You forget the feeling of community and specialness that using Klingon
> gives.

I chalk that up to "smugness", really.  I can get that from being a Star
Wars trivia junkie, and don't have to learn a new language to do it.  :)
Maybe I should go back and reverse-engineer Rodian (from Greedo in the
first movie), and claim it as a new language, and do for Rodian (backfit a
syntax and vocabulary to existing samples) what Okrand did for Klingon...

You do make a valid point, though.  A feeling of community *is* a benefit.
Although I might argue it's actually not community most people are
seeking, but rather a point of differentiation -- ie. "I know Klingon and
you don't".  If it was a true community, I'd expect evolution to take
place, but this is being actively railed against.

...Paul

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
     "Music and passion were always the fashion, at the Copa...
       Don't fall in love..."  -- Barry Manilow, "Copacabana"

Back to archive top level