tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 05 09:16:36 2007

RE: Purpose Clauses (was Re: "conjunction"?)

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, DloraH wrote:
>>>   ghojmeH taj
>
> But since we are adults, the "you" in that sentence wouldn't be
> learning.  "You" is simply using a knife that was designed for learning.
> Anybody in general would use that knife for learning (at a younger age).

I'd hope even us adults could learn things.  :)  But I think your point
almost proves my point; the sentence /bIghojmeH taj yIlo'/ (I just
realized it's probably more appropriate for the "no object" prefix) would
be appropriate for speaking to someone who a student (and has reason to
use the knife), but /ghojlu'meH taj yIlo'/ would be more accurate for
someone who would not normally use it.  Point being, without a complete
sentence *and clear context*, we can't know if this phrase should be used
with correct prefixes, or with the /-lu'/ suffix.

...Paul

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
                     "Failure is not an option."

Back to archive top level