tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 28 09:02:23 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: laj (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, February 28, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   laj
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     accept

Used in canon:

   to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
   Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs! PK

   jIlajneS. ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj!
   "I accept. May your enemies run with fear." (TKW p.65; TNG "Sins of the
Father")
   [This is the traditional acceptance upon being asked to serve as
someone's cha'DIch.]

   beq may' ta vIlajpu'
   I have accepted the crew's record of battle. KGT

   ghopDu'wIjDaq yInmeyraj vIlaj
   I accept your lives into my hands. KGT

Note the idiom:

   "I have accepted discommendation." [Worf, in TNG "Reunion")

>Antonyms: lajQo'

   When taking a table's order, the {jabwI'} neither writes anything down
   nor enters data into a computer. It is considered the duty of the {jabwI'}
   to remember ({qaw}) the choices and to bring the correct food, and servers
   tend to be quite skilled at this. On the rare occasion when the {jabwI'}
   has remembered incorrectly ({qawHa'}), the patron may reject ({lajQo'})
   the dish. If the patron rejects a dish that the server believes has been
   properly remembered, however, the misunderstanding could develop into
   minor combat. For most of the other diners in the restaurant, this is
   regarded as an exhilarating diversion.  (KGT 101f.)

>Homonyms:
>     laj (noun) - acceptance

Never used in canon.

Related verbs:

{Hev} receive; {yaH} be taken away; {nge'} take away; {tlhap} take

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level