tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 28 08:24:34 2007

Re: Topic (was: Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for February 9, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

mIq'ey:
> >>    qatoy'taH wa'ben 'e' vItagh
> >>
> >>This seems (to me) to mean exactly what we want it to mean.  Are there
> >>objections to it from a grammatical (or, for that matter, any other) point
> >>of view?

Voragh:
> > I like this, but the time-stamp should precede the verb:
> >
> >    wa' ben qatoy'taH 'e' vItagh.
> >    "I began serving you (continuously) a year ago"

lay'tel SIvten:
>I disagree with your change (although the result may still have roughly the
>same meaning).  The time-stamp already precedes its verb, but the first
>clause
>is separate and does not require a time-stamp.
>
>Adding a period (full stop) makes it easier to see:
>
>   qatoy'taH.  wa'ben 'e' vItagh.

So it's the difference between "A year ago I began serving you" and "I
began serving you a year ago"?  Depending on the intonation (and context),
"a year ago" is emphasized but they are otherwise identical in meaning.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level