tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 26 08:08:36 2007

RE: bible

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

"Bible" doesn't mean "collection of books". The word
comes from the Greek "byblos" (=papyrus or paper),
which came from the name of the city Byblos, from
which
papyrus was first introduced to Greece.

The word "paqghom" to me would suggest a library, not
a single bound volume.

-- ter'eS

--- DloraH <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > by the way, i know some people are translating
> the bible
> > into klingon. What is the word they chose for
> bible? Maybe
> > just paq'a'?
> > >

> > As I understand it "bible" means "a collection of
> books". ("The Holy
> > Bible", would be a collection of holy books)
> > So if <mu'ghom> is "dictionary", could <paqghom>
> be "bible"?
> > And then just tack on <quv> to show the
> significance of the book?
>
> Or you could be more specific/direct and say <Qun
> paqghom>.
>
> (Disclaimer:  Yes, we all know that we shouldn't
> make up our own compound nouns.)
>

> DloraH

Back to archive top level