tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 23 17:53:46 2007

Re: bIyem'a'? (or being rude)

seruq ([email protected])

> I couldn't agree more.  That being said, there is in fact a quality {Doch}
> "be rude" - also {Qut} "be vulgar" and
> {tlhIv} "be insubordinate".  Needless to say, there are no examples of any
> of these words actually being used.  The mind boggles at just what behavior
> would be classed as {Doch} or {Qut} by Klingons? <g>

I don't know about Qut, but as for Doch...

Three people, X, Y and Z.
X and Y are standing in the hallway talking.  Z needs to walk past.

Humans:
Z tries to squeeze by and bumps into Y.
Y gets angry and says "You could have said 'Excuse me, may I pass?' "
X and Y thinks Z was rude because he bumped into Y while trying to squeeze by.
Even though Y didn't move knowing that Z wanted through, Z feels guilty.

A polite human Z would have approached X and Y and interrupted their conversation to say "Excuse me, may I pass?"  X and Y would then step aside and Z would walk past.

Klingons:
Z interrupts the conversation and says "Excuse me." so that he may pass.
Y gets angry and says "Why did you interrupt our conversation?  You have just as much right to be here as we do.  Just walk past!  Now I lost my train of thought in our discussion!"
X and Y thinks Z was rude because he interrupted their conversation when all he needed to do was nudge Y a little and slip past.
Z thinks Y was rude because he didn't move out of the way knowing that Z wanted through.

A polite klingon Z would have approached X and Y.  X and Y, while still carrying on their conversation would have stepped aside, and Z would have quietly slipped by.

I definitly fit the klingon part.  People hate it when I try to slip past without saying "Excuse me"; and I hate it when people interrupt me to say "Excuse me" when they don't need to.

DloraH

Back to archive top level