tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 23 12:55:36 2007

bIyem'a'? (or being rude)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Doq:
> > It's like the word "please".
> > Notice that it is absent from the Klingon vocabulary.
> > ... You can't translate "please" into Klingon any
> > more than you can translate "photon torpedo" into Latin.

DloraH:
>Sometimes if I want to include something in its place I translate it as DaH.
>"Could you come here... please"
>"HIghoS... DaH!"

Doq:
> > If you can strip out any indirect or polite phrases from a sentence
> > and still convey the meaning into Klingon, then do so. The life you
> > save may be your own.

DloraH:
>A couple sentences passed through this list some years back:
>Nick Nickolas- "Is it just me (and I know for a fact it isn't), or does
>talking in Klingon actually
>*force* you to be rude? ;)"
>Richard Kennaway- "No, talking Terran forces you to be wittering, vague,
>and indecisive."

I couldn't agree more.  That being said, there is in fact a quality {Doch}
"be rude" - also {Qut} "be vulgar" and
{tlhIv} "be insubordinate".  Needless to say, there are no examples of any
of these words actually being used.  The mind boggles at just what behavior
would be classed as {Doch} or {Qut} by Klingons? <g>

BTW, there's a similar problem with {yem} "sin".  Since the Klingons killed
their gods countries ago, we're not entirely sure what {yem} refers to in
the modern language, if anything.  There's one example known, from KCD:

   bIyem'a'
   Will you sin? KCD (Language Lab)

In the KCD "Star Trek: Klingon!" novelization we find the source for this
(pp. 23f.):

     Then speaking to Pok, but looking directly into Vok's face, [K'Tar]
   said, "Throw this {veQ} out." Pok stood and moved toward Vok, reaching
   for the unwanted guest.
     "{bIyem'a'!}" Vok said. Pok stopped short of grabbing Vok...
     "The celebration," Vok said, "was declared a *lop'no*. You have invited
   the spirits of all our Klingon ancestors. Tradition dictates that all are
   welcome to the *lop'no*. Even ancient rivals. Even me, K'Tar."
     "{Chut Quj}," K'Tar said.
     "{Luq ratlh}," Pok said, almost spitting his words at Vok.

Here {bIyem'a'} seems to mean something like "Do you dare go against
tradition (violate society's rules, act dishonorably)".  This idea is
mentioned again in TKW and KGT:

   ... those who violate the rules of their own cultures and do not observe
   their own virtues are acting dishonorably and are not to be trusted.
   (TKW 189)

   ... those who are found to have violated the rules of society are often
   punished by being forced to do particularly strenuous or distasteful work.
   (TKW 190)

   In the Krotmag dialect, {yeb} (wrist) is pronounced {yem}, identical to
   the verb {yem} (sin). In parallel fashion, {ngIb} (ankle) is pronounced
   {ngIm}, identical to the verb {ngIm} (be putrid). Thus, the wrist gained
   an association with sinning, or dishonorable behavior; the ankle, with
   putridity, perhaps moral decay. (KGT 166f.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level