tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 21 08:19:46 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for February 10, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 10:23 PM Tuesday 2/20/2007, pm5 wrote:

>   pIn: {mu'tlheghvam vItu'.  <quSlIjDaq jIqomHa'rupchoHmoH>
>         bIja'.} (2)
>  Boss: "For example, this one says you will 'decompose
>         in your chair.'"

Typo?  I assume you meant the verb {ghomHa'} "scatter, disperse".  Some
other verbs to consider are:

{chenHa'moH}  "destroy (something)"(cf. {chenmoH} "build, form, make, create")

{roghmoH}  "cause to ferment"

{non}      "be rotten"
{ngIm}     "be putrid"
{tlhorgh}  "be pungent"

{ragh}  "decay, rust, corrode"

   It is important to distinguish {rogh} [ferment] from {ragh} (decay).
   Food that has decayed ({raghpu'bogh Soj}, or more succinctly, {Soj non}
   --"rotten food") is food that has become inedible and must be thrown away,
   though it is sometimes given to animals." (KGT 91)

   'etlh QorghHa'lu'chugh ragh 'etlh nIvqu' 'ej jejHa'choH
   Even the best blade will rust and grow dull unless it is cared for. TKW

{raghmoH}  "cause to decay/rust/corrode"

   For food that has been prepared particularly poorly, it is not uncommon
   to hear {Soj raghmoHlu'pu'} ("The food has been decayed" or "Someone has
   caused the food to decay") or the more pointed {Soj DaraghmoHpu'} ("You
   have caused the food to decay"), even though the food has not literally
   decayed. (KGT 84)

Of these, I like {chanHa'moH} and {raghmoH} - especially the latter as
there's a relevant proverb Dilbert of the Boss may want to use.

>For sentence (2) how would you tranlate "for example"?  I rephrased
>it to {mu'tlheghvam vItu'} "I found this sentence" but I'd prefer
>something closer to the original.

I've seen {chovnatlh} "specimen" used for "example, sample".  I would also
use {qel} "take into account, consider" here:

   mu'tlheghvam yIqel...

But since you're talking about goals, why not just say so?

   ngoD(lIj)vam yIqel...
   Consider this goal (of yours)...

>  DIlbot: {ghobe'.  roD quS pImDaq jIH.} (4)
>Dilbert: "Not really.  Half of the time I'm in a different chair."

I would add {-taH} to {jIH}--especially with {roD} "usually, customarily,
habitually, regularly".  It's not specifically stated in TKD, but when
pronouns-as-verbs are used to indicate simple location, they tend to appear
with {-taH}.  (FYI there are 11 examples with {-taH}, 5 without.)  I can
provide the full list if interested.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons