tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 20 20:24:22 2007

Dilbert Comic in Klingon for February 10, 2007

pm5 ([email protected])

Greetings Warriors:

Here is my translation for dialogues in [Dilbert Comic for February
10, 2007][1].  Instead of a word-to-word translation I tried to make
the sentences more Klingon-like. Corrections and advises are welcome.

        pIn: {wa' nem ngoQmeylIj DangeDchoHmoHlaw' 'e' vISaH.} (1)
       Boss: "I'm concerned that you might be low-balling
        your goal for the coming year."

        pIn: {mu'tlheghvam vItu'.  <quSlIjDaq jIqomHa'rupchoHmoH>
        bIja'.} (2)
       Boss: "For example, this one says you will 'decompose
        in you chair.'"

        pIn: {ngeDlaw' 'e'.} (3)
       Boss: "That sounds easy."

     DIlbot: {ghobe'.  roD quS pImDaq jIH.} (4)
    Dilbert: "Not really.  Half of the time I'm in a
        different chair."

 [1]:http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20070210.html

I chose noun-noun construction to translate the heavily debated "goal
for the coming year" in (1) because the topic of this sentence is the
(overly easy) goal, not the year
that is coming.

For sentence (2) how would you tranlate "for example"?  I rephrased it
to {mu'tlheghvam vItu'} "I found this sentence" but I'd prefer
something closer to the original.

pm5

Back to archive top level