tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 19 07:47:31 2007

Re: pronouns with noun suffixes

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

be''etlh:
> > Is there canon about the use of noun suffixes on pronouns?  Most would be
> > illogical or nonsensical, like type 4, but some of the type fives, like
> -vaD
> > or -mo' would be quite useful.

Oddly enough, there are no examples with {-mo'} but that's probably because
the sample is so small.  AFAIK there are only 3 actual examples of the noun
suffix {-mo'} attested.  (There are 7 examples with the verb suffix {-mo'}.)

lay'tel SIvten:
>I didn't find anything specifically about this in TKD beyond the following
>(on page 52, 5.1. Pronouns):
>
>   Pronouns may be used as nouns, but only for emphasis or
>   added clarity. They are not required.

FYI here's another comment by Okrand about pronouns vs. nouns:

   Okrand communicated privately with members of the KSRP that pronouns
   (being a subset of nouns) could indeed be used with stative verbs.
   Thus, {SoH po' law' jIH po' puS} is correct.   (HQ 4.2:3)

>but I found several canon examples of pronouns used with noun suffixes.  All
>of the examples have only type-5 suffixes, and no example has {-mo'}.

lay'tel found almost all of them.  I found only two more from a HolQeD article:

>{-Daq}
>   KGT1 1432
>         {#jIHDaq Daqang#}
>         You always agree with me, you always cooperate with me
>         (lit.) You pour [something] into me.
>
>   tape PK180
>         [hm] "May the spirit of Kahless live within you." =
>         [mo] {SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj.}

   jIHDaq Sum raS
   The table is near me. (HQ 12/1998)

   SoHDaq Sum raS
   You are near the table. (HQ 12/1998)

There are, of course, more examples of pronouns with verb suffixes - about
half of those being {-taH}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons