tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 05 14:23:18 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for February 1, 2007

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5 wrote:
>  DIlbot: {yaHwIjDaq vIghoSchugh 'ej pagh vIghomchugh vaj nIvqu'
>          DaHjaj.} (1)
>Dilbert: "My day will start out great if I can make it
>          to my cubicle without human contact."

You can omit {-Daq} from {yaHwIj}:  {yaHwIj vIghoSchugh...}.  Cf. TKD (p.28):

   There are a few verbs whose meanings include locative notions,
   such as {ghoS} "approach, proceed". The locative suffix [{-Daq}]
   need not be used on nouns which are the objects of such verbs:
     Duj ghoStaH
       It is approaching the ship.
     yuQ wIghoStaH
       We are proceeding toward the planet.
   If the locative suffix is used with such verbs, the resulting sen-
   tence is somewhat redundant, but not out-and-out wrong:
     DujDaq ghoStaH
       It is approaching toward the ship.

{yaH} is perfect but {pa'Hom} could also work, depending on how enclosed
the cubicle is.  In effect, he's trying to get to his little room without
being noticed.

>  DIlbot: {...} (2)
>Dilbert: "AAYI-YI-YI-YI!"
>
>     pIn: {nItebHa' vummo' wabvetlh chenmoH 'e' vItul.} (3)
>    Boss: "I hope that was the sound of teamwork."

"Because it works together, I hope that it makes that sound"??

Try the verb {'oS} "represent":

   toDuj 'oS rol
   A beard is a symbol of courage. TKW

   qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
   The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

   yay 'oS bey
   This yell is victorious in nature... S31

I'm not sure how to do it, but you could use this last as a starting point
and just call the sound/noise {wab} a yell {bey}:  {... 'oS beyvetlh 'e'
vItul} "I hope that yell means..."  Here is how {bey} "how, yell" has been
used:

   Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'.  Heghtay luloptaHvIS chaH chaq bey SeQ
lujach
   other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell as part of the Klingon
   death ritual. S31

   beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH latlh tlhInganpu'
   others [Klingons] roar in a great crescendo. S31

   yay 'oS bey.  'IQ pagh.  Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey.  ghoS
tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
   This yell is victorious in nature, rather than mournful and also serves
to warn the
   other dead that a Klingon warrior is coming. S31

"Teamwork" is tricky - {nItebHa' vumchu' Hoch} "everyone working perfectly
together (linked)" or the like.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons