tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 24 10:14:52 2007

Re: How does one say Merry Christmas?

Steven Boozer wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> How does one say Merry Christmas?
>
> On this list, Christmas is usually transcribe *{QISmaS}, though some people
> prefer *{toDwI'ma' qoS} "our savior's birthday".  Holiday and birthday
> greetings are usually given using the verb {tIv} "enjoy".
>
> So, the imperative form is:
>
>    QISmas yItIv!
>    Enjoy Christmas! [to one person or a group of people]
>
> Stated less aggressively as a desire or wish, use {-jaj}:
>
>    QISmas DatIvjaj
>    may you (sg.) enjoy Christmas [to one person]
>
>    QISmas botIvjaj
>    may you (pl.) enjoy Christmas [to a group]
>
> If you're a Christian speaking to other Christians, you might prefer to say:
>
>    toDwI'ma' qoS DatIvjaj
>    may you (sg.) enjoy Our Savior's birthday
>
> but if you're a non-Christian speaking to Christians, this becomes:
>
>    toDwI'lI' qoS DatIvjaj
>    may you (sg.) enjoy your (sg.) savior's birthday [to one person]
>
>    toDwI'ra' qoS botIvjaj
>    may you (pl.) enjoy your (pl.) savior's birthday [to a group]
>
> You can always add {-qu'} "emphatic" (mutatis mutandem):
>
>    QISmas DatIvqu'jaj!
>    may you (sg.) really enjoy Christmas
>    (i.e. Have a very merry Christmas!)
>
> In these politically correct times, you can choose the multiculturally
> non-specific:
>
>    yupma'(mey) tItIv!
>    Enjoy the festivals! (i.e. Happy holidays! [pl.])
>
>    yupma'lIj DatIvjaj
>    may you (sg.) enjoy your (sg.) festival! [to one person]
>
>    yupma'raj botIvjaj
>    may you (pl.) enjoy your (pl.) festival! [to a group]
>
> Other options include substituting the noun {lop} "celebration" and/or
> using the verb {lop} "observe, celebrate (a ritual)".  E.g.:
>
>    QISmas Dalopchu'jaj!
>    May you (sg.) celebrate Christmas well!
>    (i.e. Have a nice Christmas!)
>
>    etc...
>
> Personally, I always go with the all-purpose:
>
>    yupma'lIj yItIv!
>    Enjoy your festival/holiday!

Voragh, Voragh, Voragh. How could you give such bad advice? Don't you
know the TRADITIONAL answer to this question?

You walk up to a Klingon, hold out your arms and smile, and say
confidently, DaH HIHoH! Your new Klingon acquaintance will be most pleased.

SuStel
Stardate 7980.1

--
Practice the Klingon language on the tlhIngan Hol MUSH.
http://trimboli.name/klingon/mush.html

Back to archive top level