tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 24 10:00:33 2007

Re: How does one say Merry Christmas?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

[email protected] wrote:
>How does one say Merry Christmas?

On this list, Christmas is usually transcribe *{QISmaS}, though some people
prefer *{toDwI'ma' qoS} "our savior's birthday".  Holiday and birthday
greetings are usually given using the verb {tIv} "enjoy".

So, the imperative form is:

   QISmas yItIv!
   Enjoy Christmas! [to one person or a group of people]

Stated less aggressively as a desire or wish, use {-jaj}:

   QISmas DatIvjaj
   may you (sg.) enjoy Christmas [to one person]

   QISmas botIvjaj
   may you (pl.) enjoy Christmas [to a group]

If you're a Christian speaking to other Christians, you might prefer to say:

   toDwI'ma' qoS DatIvjaj
   may you (sg.) enjoy Our Savior's birthday

but if you're a non-Christian speaking to Christians, this becomes:

   toDwI'lI' qoS DatIvjaj
   may you (sg.) enjoy your (sg.) savior's birthday [to one person]

   toDwI'ra' qoS botIvjaj
   may you (pl.) enjoy your (pl.) savior's birthday [to a group]

You can always add {-qu'} "emphatic" (mutatis mutandem):

   QISmas DatIvqu'jaj!
   may you (sg.) really enjoy Christmas
   (i.e. Have a very merry Christmas!)

In these politically correct times, you can choose the multiculturally
non-specific:

   yupma'(mey) tItIv!
   Enjoy the festivals! (i.e. Happy holidays! [pl.])

   yupma'lIj DatIvjaj
   may you (sg.) enjoy your (sg.) festival! [to one person]

   yupma'raj botIvjaj
   may you (pl.) enjoy your (pl.) festival! [to a group]

Other options include substituting the noun {lop} "celebration" and/or
using the verb {lop} "observe, celebrate (a ritual)".  E.g.:

   QISmas Dalopchu'jaj!
   May you (sg.) celebrate Christmas well!
   (i.e. Have a nice Christmas!)

   etc...

Personally, I always go with the all-purpose:

   yupma'lIj yItIv!
   Enjoy your festival/holiday!

--
Voragh