tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 11 08:20:36 2007

Re: Klingon WOTD: ra'wI' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Sunday, December 9, 2007.
>
>Klingon word:   ra'wI'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     commander

Those of us who have served in the military would be more familiar with
"commanding officer" or "C.O." for short.

mIv je DaS tuQ ra'wI'
The commander is in full dress uniform.
("The commander wears helmet and boot.") KGT

mIv DaS je tuQ ra'wI'
The commander is wearing a helmet and a boot. KGT

juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship
("I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of commander of
this ship.") KGT

>Additional Notes:
>KGT p. 52: There is, in addition, a frequently misunderstood word
>{ra'wI'}, which is correctly, though misleadingly, translated as
>"commander," as is {la'}.  The confusion comes about because {ra'wI'}
>literally means "one who commands," from the verb {ra'} ("command, order")
>plus the suffix {-wI'} ("one who does [something]").  Thus, a {ra'wI'} is,
>literally, someone who gives an order.  The word is generally used to
>refer to any officer of the rank of {Sogh} or higher.  It may be used as
>either a description ({ra'wI' ghaH qImlaq'e}' ["K'mlak is a commander"])
>or title ({qImlaq ra'wI'} ["Commander K'mlak"]), though in all cases it is
>understood as not reflecting the precise rank of the individual.  Except
>for formal occasions, it is safe to use the title {ra'wI'}.  In fact, if
>one is not sure of an officer's rank, it is probably the safest route to take.

KGT 95-96:  If some kind of {HIq} (liquor) is added to the coffee, the
drink is called {ra'taj}. It is said that the drink was originally
nicknamed {ra'wI' taj} ("commander's knife", suggestive of its potency),
and that the name was shortened over time.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level