tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 06 10:38:13 2007

Re: usage of type-7 aspect suffix {-pu}

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Doq:
> > (chenmoH is an  action verb, not a stative one -- it would be
> > stative without the -moH) ...

mI'qey:
>I don't understand this.  I don't know how {chen} is
>used in canon (other than as part of {chenmoH}), but
>it's defined as "build up, take form" and this doesn't
>seem like a stative concept to me.  Isn't taking form
>(unlike "having form") an active process rather than a
>state?

Indeed.  {chen} and {boq} "ally with" are used in math in these examples
from HolQeD 9.3:

4 + 3 = 7
wej boq loS; chen Soch
"four allies with three; seven forms".

2 + 1 = 3
wa' boq cha'; chen wej
"two allies with one, three forms".

(N.B. *not* *{luboq} with the {lu-} prefix since "in these mathematical
constructions, the numbers, even those higher than one, are considered
singular from a grammatical point of view." )

4 ? 3 = 1
loS boqha' wej; chen wa'
"three dissociates from four, one forms".

2 x 3 = 6
cha'logh boq'egh wej; chen jav
"twice, three allies with itself, six forms".

6 ÷ 3 = 2
[6 divided by 3 equals 2]
wejlogh boqHa''egh jav; chen cha'
"three times, six dissociates from itself, two forms"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level