tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 04 13:28:28 2007

Savan (was: Basic grammar question)

McArdle wrote:
> As a (the?) perpetrator of {Hoch Savan}, I'd be glad to know how to
> say this more acceptably.  Would {Hoch tlhiH Savan} serve?

How about just {Savan}? The only reason you're looking for an object is
because English requires one.

> Or does this run afoul of the injunction SuStel cites against using
> pronouns as nouns except for "emphasis or added clarity"?

I don't know if it's an injunction so much as "Klingons don't do it
unless they're speaking slowly and deliberately, as if to an idiot."

This is another one of those cases where (if you're going to use an
explicit object) the only way to use the construct you want is to use
the pronoun as a noun.

Regarding {Hoch tlhIH} specifically, I think a Klingon would see that as
redundant, possibly even ungrammatical ("each youses").

SuStel
Stardate 7925.7

Back to archive top level