tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 01 18:05:41 2007

Re: Chuck

ja' naHQun:

> In the "teaser" (before the opening "song"), we have the line
> <tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?> and I couldn't understand the reply.

First guy (strapped to hospital bed): tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?
   "Do you speak Klingon?"
Second guy: HIja'. bIpIvqa'law'.
   "Yes.  You seem healthy again."

The first guy said something close to "coal" for {Hol}, made the
typical {tlh} -> "tull" mispronunciation, and had his glottal stops
so understated that I couldn't tell whether he actually knew it was
possible to pronounce them.

The second guy slurred his words, had absolutely no glottal stops,
and pronounced the last syllable as "low".

> And
> then almost the end of the episode (minute 37 if you don't care about
> the plot) we have a question which I couldn't make out,...

Every time I try to fast-forward, it shows me a very choppy
commercial.  I endured it about five times in order to find the scene.

First guy (with black gun): ghaj'a' *dweb*? HIja', ghobe'...
   "Have *dweb*? Yes, no..."
Second guy (with white shirt): HIja'.
   "Yes."

The first guy's {gh} was a solid English-like "G".  I'm guessing
*dweb* was a fumblemouthed {yIvbeH}.  {yoD} would have been
appropriate as well.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level