tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 01 17:40:35 2007

Re: Chuck

Doq ([email protected])

I just saw it. Surprisingly, I could recognize what they were saying.
Their pronunciation was better than their acting, which isn't saying
much. So, here it is:

Early in the show, Chuck's nemesis says:

tlhIngan Hol DajatlhlaH. [He said it as if it were a question.]

to which Chuck answers:

HIja'. bIpIvqa'law'.

Later in the show, the nemesis says:

ghaj'a' yIvbeH? HIja'? ghobe'? [Note: he totally blew the
pronunciation of {yIvbeH} and I guess he was clipping his Klingon,
since there was no prefix on {ghaj}. His {yIvbeH} sounded like "dweb".]

Chuck replies:

HIja'.

He repeats {HIja'} a few seconds later, then breaks to English.

They didn't get glottal stops or pronounce their {H}s very well, but
for normal actors not coached by Okrand, this was good stuff.

Doq

On Dec 1, 2007, at 7:22 PM, naHQun wrote:

> According to My Mother, this week's episode of "Chuck" on NBC
> contained spoken Klingon.
> I'm about to watch it on-line, and those who missed it (or don't live
> in the US) can watch it as well at:
>
> http://www.nbc.com/Chuck/
>
> I'll of course post anything relavent after I'm done.
>
> ~naHQun
>
> --
> http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=508314975
> http://www.myspace.com/naHQun
> http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/purpleelaphants/
>
> Modern playwrights have become obsessed with writing human
> interpretations of alien theatrical works while ignoring completely
> our own unique cultural heritage.~Bashir; "The Die is Cast" (DS9)

Back to archive top level