tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 27 23:56:11 2007

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for August 20, 2007

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

bop must have a meaning I don't know. I learned it as a verb meaning
"be all about."  Is it also a noun meaning "salary, compensation"?

At 11:12 PM 8/27/2007, you wrote:
>Greetings Warriors:
>
>Here is my translation for the dialogues in [Dilbert comic for August 20,
>2007][1], along with their English counterparts for your
>reference.  Corrections
>and advises are welcomed.
>
>     pIn: {'alIS, boplIj law' Hoch 'ay' bop puS, 'ach pegh De'vetlh.}

There's an error in the law'/puS construction. There's no verb saying
what is law' and puS.
Consider using a military term to translate department. That would be
clearer than 'ay'. Hoch 'ay'' - "the whole part" is hard to interpret.
De'vetlh yIpegh would reflect the imperative of the original.

>     pIn: {DIlbot, boplIj law' Hoch 'ay' bop puS, 'ach pegh De'vetlh.}

Same.

>     pIn: {not to'vetlh vIlo' 'e' vIHarbe'.}

I would have used the perfective. I never thought of that BEFORE.

>     Doqbot: {toH, je boplIj law' Hoch vu'wI' bop puS.}
>
>----
>
>     Boss: "Alice, you have the highest salary in the department,
> but don't tell
>         anyone what it is."
>
>     Boss: "Dilbert, you have the highest salary in the department, but don't
>         tell anyone what it is."
>
>     Boss: "I can't believe I never thought of that before."
>     Dogbert: "Yeah, especially since you're the highest paid manager."
>

>  [1]:http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20070820.html
>

>po'mIn

Back to archive top level