tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 20 09:22:00 2007

Re: pIqaD and Transformers...

Chad Fisher ([email protected])

Transformers is a Paramount Pictures production.  PIQAD symbols are technically a registered trademark of Paramount... in other words they have the legal creative license to use the symbols however they wish. They do not have to have a Klingon base reference in order for Paramount to use them.     Other production companies that are not affiliates with Paramount would be subject to a lawsuit if they used them without Paramount's consent.  But, as of yet I don't think Paramount has sued anyone for the use of PIQAD.  PIQAD is also, when specifically done with the sound letter relationship considered free license, which sort of confuses things a bit.  In other words, anyone can use them symbols to refer to the sounds conveyed in Klingon, but technically no one can legally use the symbols alone without the consent of Paramount.  That's a very fine line, don't you think?  Suppose I were to make a movie with Klingon symbols in word form, I can do that because they refer to
 Klingon sounds... but then again I can't because the symbols themselves belong to Paramount.  Which is probably why Paramount never sues anyone for their use.

  --Chad

James <[email protected]> wrote:
  Not *quite* tlhIngan-Hol related, but close...

Being bored gets me into trouble, I find.

I was browsing through some Transformers websites and I found a link to
a game called "Sector Seven Alternate Reality Game" (for those who have
seen the movie, you'll know who Sector Seven is). One of the curious
items was the later passwords which brought out a computer interface
with icons in... pIqaD?

Web site is http://www.sectorseven.org and login password is "deceptibot"

Big Klingon Alien Robots, perhaps?

James