tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 13 19:37:23 2007

Re: mu' chu' - 'el'I'jaH (?)

On Aug 13, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Robyn Stewart wrote:

> I'm saying the word over and over again to hear the part that is
> hard to say.
>
> Someone implied that stop-stop-c-v-H was hard, but the rhythm of
> 'el'I'jaH is pretty much replicated in English "ill-adjusted" --  the
> beginning comes out pretty close to 'Il'a'ja... when I say it, except
> with the vowels being more schwaed.
>
> HIyajmoH.

Seng vIyajbe' je jIH.

I suspect Voragh would have an easier time with the (apparently
mistaken, according to 'ISqu') pronunciation if he had spent some
time among other Klingonists actually speaking the language.  Glottal
stops tend to be seen as "exotic" until they get used regularly in
real speech.

In the other direction, the "k" sound might be similarly exotic to a
native Klingophone.  They'd probably find "kid kickball" just as odd
as Voragh does {*'el'I'jaH}, just because of the repeated unusual sound.

Back to archive top level