tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 02 13:42:21 2007

RE: Number of Klingon speakers?

Eric Andeen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Others to add to the list:

SuStel
charghwI' (I haven't spoken to him in years, though)
Leiven (I don't remember his Klingon name)

There are certainly more, especially in Europe.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
Behalf Of Robyn Stewart
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:34 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Number of Klingon speakers?

At 04:57 AM 8/2/2007, you wrote:
>So, the question above might be written as "How many really advanced
>speakers are there?" (with a vague attempt at defining "really
>advanced speakers").
>
>I think I've heard at least a dozen people speaking Klingon in this
>way (counting conversations at both the qep'a'mey I've been to). But I
>figure there must be even more advanced speakers out there?

Well how about we inventory them. Some advanced Klingon speakers are
on this mailing list. Anyone who can carry on a two way conversation
in Klingon must have done so, so must have spoken with at least one
other advanced Klingon speaker. While it is possible that there are
pockets of Klingon speakers out there who have learned the language
to fluency without contact with the KLI, that is doubtful, especially
as some of the words that facilitate that are only available through
HolQeD or the KLI website.

So, while I am not satisfied with my fluency, I think I probably meet
your description. I recently read a published article in which a
taghwI' described Qanqor and 'ISqu' as carrying on a fluent
conversation, so they fulfil your exact criterion. Add  others off
the top of my head and leave room for people to follow up with more,
then you can count 'em. These are in no order whatsoever.

Qov
Qanqor
'ISqu'
ghunchu'wI'