tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 02 05:00:17 2007

Re: Number of Klingon speakers?

Zrajm C Akfohg ([email protected])

On 31/07/07, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> At 09:34 AM 7/31/2007, you wrote:
> >Does anyone know how many Klingon speakers there are in the world?
> >
> >Let me split this into two questions:
> >
> >1. How many are capable of holding a normal (full speed) conversation
> >in Klingon?
>
> You'd have to define "full speed."  We don't even know how fast
> Klingons talk. We're all slower than we should be. There must be at
> least thirty people who can stand up and tell a story in Klingon.

Okay, I admit, that was kind of vague. A wrongly posed question, even.

Maybe I should have asked how many people there are that comfortably
can hold a conversation in Klingon without a dictionary in hand -- a
conversation that when heard by other people, not knowing Klingon,
would appear to be "fluent".

Hmm. That's kind of vague too, maybe?

I, for example, would not place myself in this category, mostly
because I have a really hard time understaning *spoken* Klingon. A
conversation with me in it would have to be really simple, with lots
of repeated utterances from the one I'm speaking with. I can do it,
but it wouldn't sound like a natural conversation between two people
who actually know the language the way you do when you speak e.g.
French, or English.

So, the question above might be written as "How many really advanced
speakers are there?" (with a vague attempt at defining "really
advanced speakers").

I think I've heard at least a dozen people speaking Klingon in this
way (counting conversations at both the qep'a'mey I've been to). But I
figure there must be even more advanced speakers out there?

> >2. How could read and reply to written letter in Klingon?
>
> Hundreds, possibly thousands, if they're allowed to use their dictionary.

Yup. Dictionary allowed. Here I'm looking for the largest possible
number of people one could in any fairness be said to know Klingon.

/maHvatlh

--
  Zrajm C Akfohg   Mobil: 076-211 50 43   E-post: [email protected]
  Villav.33, 2tr   Telefon: 018-500 911   http://zrajm.klingonska.org/

Back to archive top level