tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 15 18:15:50 2006

Re: KLBC: question about position of suffixes

McArdle ([email protected])

Done.

  If anyone's interested, I sell this kind of thing over at cafepress.com (on a very small scale that doesn't pay for coffee let alone rent).  The result of this particular discussion can be seen at http://www.cafepress.com/ciceros_soapbox.75110585 where it's available for purchase for a nominal fee.

  Enough with the sales pitch.  I do want to hang here around because this whole thing has piqued my interest in the language.  Right now I'm working my way through the 6 posted lessons of the postal course and I don't quite get how the language deals with indirect objects.  But I'll give that some time.

  Qapla'

McA

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
  Voragh:
>>We also have {lupwI'} "jitney, bus" from the scene in "Conversational
>>Klingon" where the Terran tourist is seeing the sites on Kronos:
>>
>> lupwI' DalIghnIS
>> You must ride the jitney. CK
>>
>>This sounds like it's a type of ground vehicle. Qov has used *{lupwI'Hom}
>>for "car" which may work best here since you don't want to repeat {Duj}.
McArdle:
>{lupwI'} or {lupwI'Hom} is just what I was looking for. I don't know why
>I didn't look for "transport" in the KD.

On further thought, {lupwI'} is certainly a ground vehicle - either wheeled
or some sort of hovercraft - as a {lupDujHom} is a "shuttlecraft", which I
had quite forgotten. There's even a bit of canon connecting them to
battlecruisers:

lupDujHomDaq may'Duj vIchegh
I return to the battle cruiser on the shuttle. (st.k 7/99)

And {lupDujHom} implies the existence of a *{lupDuj} "transport (ship),
runabout". I've seen it used several times on this List for
"airplane". (In Trek we were always hearing about daily passenger shuttles
between Bajor and DS9; there were even a couple of of references to Klingon
transports, one of which Worf was falsely accused of destroying IIRC.)

>Since a {may'Duj} or {toQDuj} isn't particularly diminutive, I'm tempted
>to stick with the unqualified term, which, etymologically at least (=
>"thing that transports"), should correspond fairly well with my use of
>"vehicle" instead of "car" in the English version. I'm also sticking with
>"Klingon battle-cruiser," so:
>
> tlhIngan may'Duj 'oH latlh lupwI'wIj'e'
>
>I can add the {-Hom} if you think that {lupwI'} by itself is too closely
>associated with the meaning "jitney" to be taken as simply "vehicle."

No need. {latlh lupwI'HomwIj} sounds like overkill here and the context is
quite clear.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons