tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 15 13:53:03 2006

Re: KLBC: question about position of suffixes

McArdle ([email protected])

{lupwI'} or {lupwI'Hom} is just what I was looking for.  I don't know why I didn't look for "transport" in the KD.

  Since a {may'Duj} or {toQDuj} isn't particularly diminutive, I'm tempted to stick with the unqualified term, which, etymologically at least (= "thing that transports"), should correspond fairly well with my use of "vehicle" instead of "car" in the English version.  I'm also sticking with "Klingon battle-cruiser," so:

      tlhIngan may'Duj 'oH latlh lupwI'wIj'e'

  I can add the {-Hom} if you think that {lupwI'} by itself is too closely associated with the meaning "jitney" to be taken as simply "vehicle."

  Many thanks again.

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
  McArdle wrote:
>>I considered Duj for vehicle but had rejected it because I wanted to
>>avoid the repetition Duj/may'Duj and because I wasn't sure you could
>>apply Duj to a ground vehicle anyway.
Using {Duj} for "car" is unofficial Klingonist slang and has been used for
as long as I can remember. In the right context - say, a bumper sticker -
it should be clear.

>>If qengwI' is acceptable (if not optimal) Klingon, then might the choice
>>between it and Duj be parallel to the choice between "my other vehicle is
>>an X" and "my other car is an X"? Both of these are common, even if (at
>>least according to Google) the latter occurs about 7 times as often.

I've never seen *{qengwI'} "conveyance" from {qeng} "carry, convey"
before. It's not bad, though I'm not sure it would be understood without
an explanation - what we call "hindsight words". Note that on SkyBox card
S14 {qengwI' naQ} means "(rifle) stock", as on a disruptor rifle. Also
{tepqengwI'} is translated "cargo carrier" (a type of ship?) in TKD and
"cargo lift" (i.e. a crane used on the cargo deck) on the Klingon
Bird-of-Prey poster.

>>In general, is Duj really so broad that it encompasses "vehicle"? Or is
>>there room for a term (such as qengwI', not that I'm politicking for
>>that) that would denote any kind of conveyance without specifying the mode?

I've seen *{yavDuj} and *{ghor Duj} used for groundcar (lit.
"ground/surface [of planet] ship"). We also have {lupwI'} "jitney, bus"
from the scene in "Conversational Klingon" where the Terran tourist is
seeing the sites on Kronos:

lupwI' DalIghnIS
You must ride the jitney. CK

This sounds like it's a type of ground vehicle. Qov has used *{lupwI'Hom}
for "car" which may work best here since you don't want to repeat {Duj}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons