tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 14 19:24:27 2006

Re: KLBC: question about position of suffixes

McArdle ([email protected])

Thanks, Terrence and Steven.  This is just what I needed to know.  As it turns out, I was leaning to the same answer, but it's nice to have it confirmed by experts.

  Now that the syntactic question is out of the way, can I ask a couple of lexical ones?  What I'm really after when all is said and done is a translation of the phrase, "My other vehicle is a Klingon battle cruiser."  Neither other nor vehicle appears in the Klingon Dictionary.  I was thinking of using cha'DIch for other (second and other are closely related or even interchangeable in some languages, for example Latin and Old English).  For vehicle, I was leaning towards the verb qeng plus the agentive suffix wI', since vehicle itself is from a verb meaning "to carry, to convey" (not to mention the near-synonym conveyance).  Thus:

  tlhIngan may'Duj 'oH qengwI'wIj cha'DIch'e'

  Does this all make sense or are there better alternatives?

McA

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
  McArdle:
> > If I want to expand on this and say "my first
> > wife", I add the word wa'DIch after be'nal. But
> > where does it go relative to the possessive and
> > topicalizing suffixes? Before them, between them or
> > after them? Is it
> > verengan Ha'DIbaH ghaH be'nalwI''e' wa'DIch,
> > verengan Ha'DIbaH ghaH be'nalwI' wa'DIch'e', or
> > verengan Ha'DIbaH ghaH be'nal wa'DIchwI''e'
> > Or am I just totally out in left field here?
ter'eS BG:
>I believe the correct writing would be your second
>example: {verengan Ha'DIbaH ghaH be'nalwI' wa'DIch'e'}.

The Klingon BoP Poster has just the usage McArdle is asking about:

tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World (KBoP)

We have one other example of Okrand using a Type 5 noun suffix with an
ordinal number modifying a noun in a post answering SuStel's letter about
qep'a' wejDIch on the old MSN expert.forum list:

qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'.
[untranslated] (11/1996)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons