tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 02 08:38:37 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/26

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

pm5 wrote:
>ratbot:  Hoch to'meywIj DaHachmeH wanI' DapabHa' 'e' vISaH.
>Ratbert: "I worried that all of my wisdom is derived from
>           bad analogies."

{to'} "tactics" is a nice Klingon twist - BTW note that the English gloss
is already plural, so it would be {to'wIj} - but {Sov} "knowledge" is
closer to the original.  E.g.:

   lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov [rap, ngoQ
    rap je] Danobpu'bogh
   May your journey be filled with the same joy, wisdom,
    and purpose you have given mine. (Frasier "Star Mitzvah")

I'm not sure I understand your Klingon here - "you misfollow an event in
order for you are developed all my tactics"?

{Hach} is a quality (i.e. "be developed (e.g. a civilization)" not
"develop") and doesn't take an object:  ?{Hach Hoch SovwIj} "all my wisdom
is developed".  {Hach} has never been used in canon, but seems to be one of
a set of "anthropological" qualities which describe civilizations or
cultures - cf. also {'Itlh} "be highly developed, advanced"; {tay} "be
civilized"; {lutlh} "be primitive" - and probably isn't the right word
here.  {chen} "build up, take form, take shape" might be better.

I do like {pabHa'} "misfollow (the rules), follow (the rules) wrongly" but
I'm not sure how we can work it to render "derived from bad analogies".
Maybe the two can be combined:

   pabHa' chenpu'bogh Hoch SovwIj 'e' vISaH.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level