tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 09 08:05:56 2006

Re: Questions in tlhIngan syntax (I)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >Another way to think of it with these sentences is to see the SAO as a
> >statement of fact ("I saw the officer hit him/her") and the relative clause
> >as a follow-on comment or description about the officer.  E.g.:
> >
> >  qIppu' yaS 'e' vIlegh
> >  I saw the officer hit him/her.
> >  ("The officer has hit him/her.  I saw that."
> >
> >  qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh
> >  I saw the officer who-has-hit-him/her.

Jesse:
>So (in a quick follow up question) this true complete sentence can now be
>connected to another sentence per SAO rules as in...
>
>   qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh 'e' luSov
>   They know I saw the officer who hit him/her.

Exactly right.

Now that you understand how relative clauses work, here's how to use them
with a bit more finesse.  You may have noticed that {qama' qIppu'bogh yaS}
is ambiguous:  "the officer who hit the prisoner" or "the prisoner whom the
officer hit".  To make clear which noun you're talking about, tag it with
the topic suffix {-'e'}:

   qama' qIppu'bogh yaS'e' vIlegh 'e' luSov
   They know I saw the officer who hit the prisoner.

   qama''e' qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh 'e' luSov
   They know I saw the prisoner whom the officer hit.

Note:  This method is not required by the grammar - usually the context is
clear - but it is a useful stylistic device that we've developed over the
years.  IIRC Okrand liked it when someone showed it to him.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level