tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 09 00:29:56 2006

Re: Questions in tlhIngan syntax (I)

Jesse Morales ([email protected])

Steven Boozer wrote:
>Another way to think of it with these sentences is to see the SAO as a
>statement of fact ("I saw the officer hit him/her") and the relative clause
>as a follow-on comment or description about the officer.  E.g.:
>
>qIppu' yaS 'e' vIlegh
>I saw the officer hit him/her.
>("The officer has hit him/her.  I saw that."

That actually makes much sense to me!
I am not a grammarian in any language but I think now I understand the
difference between a clause (in this case relative), no matter how long, and
a true sentence.

>    qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh
>    I saw the officer who-has-hit-him/her.
So (in a quick follow up question) this true complete sentence can now be
connected to another sentence per SAO rules as in...

qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh 'e' luSov
They know I saw the officer who hit him/her.

>Does that help,...
Indeed it does, qatlho'

Back to archive top level