tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 04 18:08:14 2006

Re: Hamlet

Lady K'Lyssia ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

> >Comparing a programming language to a language created for a media
> >product isn't the same thing. If the programer(s) who developed C++ or
> >Basic or even Fortran didn't want it available to be used by anyone
> >writing computer programs then what would be the point?
>
>   I'm not talking about the language itself. I'm talking about a specific
> code, and yahoo has tried to do this to run xfire out of buisness and
> failed. They claimed to have copywrited/patented a specific code. Not the
> langauge the code was in, but the code itself... i do recall looking at
> the patent system and you can't copywrite programming code, i'm not sure
> about languages, though. Paramount copywriting klingon is like some
> japanese man comming to america and copywrites the usage of the japanese
> language... I don't think copywriting it is gonna do the language any
> justice... The so called "klingon translators" out there do a good job
> enough ruining the language. i'm surprised google hasn't been sued...

And yet Bill Gates had to pay Apple several digits worth of money in their
copyright case regarding Windows, because he violated the copyright laws by
lifting several lines of code (almost the whole blasted thing) from their
gui to create Windows.

Copyright refers to the specific words and the way they are put together.
Odds are Yahoo was not able to show that xfire actually stole their coding
from them. You can't copyright or patent an idea, but if you COPY someone
else's work that will get you in trouble.

Besides copyright isn't the primary issue with paramount - it's TRADEMARK
and that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Carol Hightshoe
www.carolhightshoe.com
www.loreleisignal.com
www.wolfsingerpubs.com
http://klyssia.blogspot.com/
Don't Write What You Know; Write What You Care About -- Passionately!

Back to archive top level