tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 04 05:51:43 2006

Re: KLBC

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Indeed.  You made the same mistake I did with that
> Anthem example
> earlier.  {DaHjaj} and {naDev} are NOT adverbs in
> Klingon; they're nouns
> serving as time- and place-stamps:  {DaHjaj naDev
> bIr muD}.
>
> We both gotta stop thinking anglocentrically.  <g>

I don't know why you call this anglocentric. I've been
studying Ancient Egyptian for a while now, and adverbs
and adverbial phrases play a much larger role in AE
than in any IE language.  The ancient Egyptians would
surely see time and place stamps as adverbial, and
also (as QeS suggests) nouns with {-Daq} or other
Type 5 suffixes.  In fact, they'd probably consider
subordinate verb phrases to be adverbial (maybe
that's why the klingons prefer to put them at the
beginning of the phrase, along with all the other
adverbials!).

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level