tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 03 14:56:30 2006

Re: KLBC

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > It may be that the way to use two adverbials with
> > the same verb is seen in this single example:
> >
> >   pIj maSuvpu', batlh maSuvpu' 'ej maQapbejta'!
> >   In our many battles, we have fought with honor
> >   and achieved VICTORY!  (Hallmark)
> >
> > Notice that Okrand repeated the verb rather than have two
> > adverbials follow each other directly.  Multiple clauses
> > repeating an element is fairly common in Klingon sentences,

ter'eS:
>I think one could argue that the Hallmark example is a bit of rhetorical
>flourish and not representative
>of real speech.

Perhaps, though the English Okrand translated lacks flourish.  (At least to
me.)

>OTOH, as I think about it, I can't come up with too many instances where
>you'd need
>two true adverbs in a row

Except for time- and place-stamps, you're probably right.

>But I think having to say {DaHjaj bIr muD 'ej naDev bIr muD} is going
>beyond redundancy into
>persniketry. It just sounds stupid.

Indeed.  You made the same mistake I did with that Anthem example
earlier.  {DaHjaj} and {naDev} are NOT adverbs in Klingon; they're nouns
serving as time- and place-stamps:  {DaHjaj naDev bIr muD}.

We both gotta stop thinking anglocentrically.  <g>

>Sorry; this doesn't convince me. Absence of evidence, etc.  Unless/until
>Okrand definitively bans
>multiple adverbials with a single verb, I will continue to keep them in my
>"toolkit".

As I said, it was only a suggestion.  This may be more style over grammar
anyway.  Like the Klingon preference for putting subordinate and purpose
clauses first in complex sentences.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons