tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 14:34:18 2006

Re: KLBC

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlhpu' ter'eS, ja':
> >I never said that adverbs modify each other; I said
> that you can have
> >multiple adverbs each modifying the verb.
>
> bIja': "Sometimes the adverbs augment each other".
> qayajHa''a'?

choyajHa'bej.

> >I would also argue that all timestamps are
> adverbial in function,
> >regardless
> >of the original part of speech of their elements.
>
> I agree on that count.
>
> ja'taH:
> >I also understand {DaHjaj po} to be two separate
> timestamps: 'today'
> >and 'in the morning'.
>
> cha' DoS DIqIp. In a post to the MSN newsgroup,
> Okrand gave the following
> phrases, and glossed them as English genitives,
> which implies to me that he
> intended them to be noun-noun constructions rather
> than pairs of separate
> adverbials:
>
> "DaHjaj ram "tonight" (literally "today night" or
> "today's night")
> DaHjaj po "this morning" (literally "today morning"
> or "today's morning")
> DaHjaj pov "this afternoon" (literally "today
> afternoon" or "today's
> afternoon")
> DaHjaj DungluQ "this noon" (literally "today noon"
> or "today's noon")
> DaHjaj ramjep "this midnight" (literally "today
> midnight" or "today's
> midnight")
> DaHjaj pemjep "this midday" (literally "today
> midday" or "today's midday")"
>
> (Okrand to MSN newsgroup, 29 June 1997)

OK, so I was wrong on that point. The compound is
still adverbial.  It just doesn't say anything about
whether two adverbs can modify the same verb.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level