tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 01 14:24:35 2006

Re: KLBC

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ter'eS, ja':
>I never said that adverbs modify each other; I said that you can have
>multiple adverbs each modifying the verb.

bIja': "Sometimes the adverbs augment each other". qayajHa''a'?

>I would also argue that all timestamps are adverbial in function,
>regardless
>of the original part of speech of their elements.

I agree on that count.

ja'taH:
>I also understand {DaHjaj po} to be two separate timestamps: 'today'
>and 'in the morning'.

cha' DoS DIqIp. In a post to the MSN newsgroup, Okrand gave the following
phrases, and glossed them as English genitives, which implies to me that he
intended them to be noun-noun constructions rather than pairs of separate
adverbials:

"DaHjaj ram "tonight" (literally "today night" or "today's night")
DaHjaj po "this morning" (literally "today morning" or "today's morning")
DaHjaj pov "this afternoon" (literally "today afternoon" or "today's
afternoon")
DaHjaj DungluQ "this noon" (literally "today noon" or "today's noon")
DaHjaj ramjep "this midnight" (literally "today midnight" or "today's
midnight")
DaHjaj pemjep "this midday" (literally "today midday" or "today's midday")"

(Okrand to MSN newsgroup, 29 June 1997)

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level