tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 03 14:37:50 2006

Re: KLBC

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:
>As I mentioned before, I agree with your analysis that time- and
>place-stamps are certainly adverbial phrases, but they're not "true
>adverbs"

That's right; they're functionally equivalent to nouns plus {-Daq} which, I
suppose, could reasonably be called "adverbials" as well.

>- i.e. labeled "(adv)" in TKD - which is what QeS was looking for.

Er... my issue was only with phrases like the following:

{tlhoS reH qagh vISop}

I would have had no problem interpreting this as "I always almost eat gagh"
- that is, I try to eat gagh, but never quite seem to be able to - but the
problem is that I've seen some people try to use this sort of thing for "I
almost always eat gagh" - that is, I eat gagh at most meals. This is what I
mean by "two adverbs cannot modify each other": {tlhoS} is modifying {qagh
vISop}, not {reH}.

Nevertheless, the Okrandian example {pIj maSuvpu', batlh maSuvpu'} seems to
show that this is irrelevant, and that the verb would more normally be
repeated with each adverb. Well spotted, Voragh.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level