tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 29 03:56:24 2006

Re: pronouns

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu', jIja':
>In Hebrew (I believe; Voragh would be able to confirm or correct this) the
>copula is most usually given simply by apposition,

mujang Voragh, ja':
>Not usually.

Qu'vatlh! DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'.

jIghItlhtaH, jIja':
>While I can't think of a language that uses a pronoun-as-copular-construct
>in the same way as Klingon does (although Russian might come close), I also
>can't think of a single natural language that has a regular copula. {{:)

mujangtaH Voragh, ja':
>Though I wouldn't call it "conjugation" - perhaps "agreement" is better -

Indeed, as the term "conjugation" usually implies specifically verbal
inflection.

>the use of pronouns as copulas in Hebrew and Arabic pretty much mirrors
>that of Klingon.

Israel Hol jatlh Marc Okrand, qar'a'?

>{rom} "agreement} may not be the right term in Klingon, however:
>   Klingon grammarians refer to the rule that governs the use of
>   pronominal prefixes as the rule of {rom} (literally, "accord").

I've always used the term {rom chut} "the law of accord" only to describe
pronominal prefix agreement. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to know
how Klingon grammarians describe the pronoun-as-verb "agreement": {DIpvaD
tam rom chut le'}?

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level