tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 24 07:29:55 2006

Re: (KLBC) How does one express feelings...?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS:
>>As the situation stands right now, learning Klingon by only reading the
>>mailing list is like learning Inuktitut by only reading the Nunavut Hansard.
>>In theory, it could be done, but in practice... TKD is reasonably priced,
>>and will save you a lot of unnecessary hassle.

One person's hassle is another persons fun.  In my case, a friend gave me a
copy of the "Conversational Klingon" as a gift.  I decided to transcribe
the tape - this became the basis of all my files BTW! - and figure out the
vocabulary and relatively simple grammar for myself.  I was able to
reconstruct much of it (aided by Marc Okrand's commentary), but I
eventually realized that I would have to get TKD (which was mentioned on
the cover).  I became fascinated with the language and here we are fifteen
years later!

Shane MiQogh:
>Like i said, not everyone has that luxury. There are things in every day
>life that prevent may prevent some people from getting TKD. That's why i'm
>going to be working on this, and paramount will always have command of the
>language, that's the way they are, cause they know they could make an
>extra $10 off of it.

If you can't afford TKD, see if your local library has a copy.  If they
don't, ask them to borrow one from another library via Interlibrary
Loan.  Once you examine the grammar section of TKD (the first half of the
book), you'll realize it's essential value.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level