tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 12:06:19 2006

Re: Neologisms (was Re: I have a few questions that confuse me.

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>VoraghL
> > In Russian, too, there's no "to be" verb in the present tense.  In the
> > written language a dash is often added for clarity:
> >
> >    *Ya -- klingonets.*
> >    I am a Klingon.
> >    tlhIngan jIH.

lay'tel SIvten:
>Yes, there is a Russian word for "be" in the present tense (est'), but it's
>left out a lot of the time, especially in this kind of equational sentence.

Exactly.  It's a frozen form of the old *sut'* and not conjugated in the
present.  When it is used, it adds an emphatic sense":

   On i est' klingonets!
   He is so a Klingon!  He really is a Klingon.  (I kid you not)

Among other uses *est'* stresses existence and is often translated "there
is/are":

   I est' klingontsy!
   Klingons *do* exist!  There are *so* Klingons!

   Den'gi est'?
   Is there any money?  Got any cash?  Anyone have money?

   Est'.
   There is.

   Da, u menya est' (den'gi)
   Yes, I have some (money) (i.e. on me at the moment)

   Zhizn est' zhizn.
   "Life is life" (expression meaning "whatchagonnado?")

>Other Russian words for "be" (e.g. yavlyat'sya) are used a lot in the present
>tense.

True, but it doesn't mean "to be" strictly speaking.  *Yavlyat'sya* is the
reflexive form of *yavlyat'* "to show, reveal".  *Yavlyat'sya* "to appear"
plus the instrumental case is often translated with a form of "to be", most
often in an elevated or official style:

   yavlyat'sya polnoi neozhidannost'iu
   to be a complete surprise

   Pervyi Gorod yavlyaetsya stolitsei Klingonskoi imperii
   The First City is the capital of the Klingon Empire.

Colloquially, this latter would more likely be phrased with *eto* "this
(neuter)":

   Pervyi Gorod -- eto stolitsa klingonskoi imperii
   The First City's the capital of the Klingon Empire.

which is another work around for the lack of a conjugated "to be" in the
present tense.

Yet another word - *Byt'* "to be" - is fully productive only in the future
(*budet*, *budut*, etc.) and past (*byl*, *byla*, etc.)  but not in the
present, except as an infinitive:

   Byt' ili ne byt', eto -- vopros.
   To be or not to be, that is the question.

IOW the conjugated forms of *byt'* and *est* in the present tense have
dropped out of the modern language for some reason, but Russians manage
quite well without them.

>Hebrew, OTOH, does not use "be" in the present tense, preferring instead to
>use pronouns, very much like Klingon.

But usually only in the third person:

   ani ha-moreh
   I'm the teacher

   atah ha-talmid
   you (m.) are the student

vs.

   lay'tel hu ha-moreh
   lay'tel is the teacher (lay'tel, he's the teacher)

BTW, Russian colloquial also uses pronouns in exactly the same way in the
present:

   lay'tel -- on prepodavatel'
   lay'tel's the teacher

or, dare I say it:

   ghojmoHwI' ghaH lay'tel'e'
   "as for lay'tel, he's the teacher"

(You know, I just knew I shouldn't have brought this up as soon as I hit
the "send" key!  <g>

Now, back to Klingon...)

--
Voragh