tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 10:10:57 2006

Re: Neologisms (was Re: I have a few questions that confuse me.

In a message dated 1/23/2006 11:03:19 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> In Russian, too, there's no "to be" verb in the present tense.  In the
> written language a dash is often added for clarity:
>
>    *Ya -- klingonets.*
>    I am a Klingon.
>    tlhIngan jIH.
>
> This "lack" doesn't seem to have impaired Russian literature much.  <g>
>
> (Yes, there's a Russian word for "Klingon"!)

Yes, there is a Russian word for "be" in the present tense (est'), but it's
left out a lot of the time, especially in this kind of equational sentence.
Other Russian words for "be" (e.g. yavlyat'sya) are used a lot in the present
tense.

Hebrew, OTOH, does not use "be" in the present tense, preferring instead to
use pronouns, very much like Klingon.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level