tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 09:00:44 2006

RE: Neologisms (was Re: I have a few questions that confuse me.

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane MiQogh:
> > I skimmed over that, but i'm sure the hardest problem anyone
> > would have with klingon is the fact that there is no form of
> > "to be" in the language.. limiting you to "apache talk". lol
> > Which does add a little humor to itself when you're not used to it.

DloraH:
>I sure there are languages other than English that use a "to be", but of the
>languages that I have studied, Thai, Arabic, and Maori, (and klingon), none
>of them have a "to be".  So in my world of linguistics, no "to be" is
>normal.

In Russian, too, there's no "to be" verb in the present tense.  In the
written language a dash is often added for clarity:

   *Ya -- klingonets.*
   I am a Klingon.
   tlhIngan jIH.

This "lack" doesn't seem to have impaired Russian literature much.  <g>

(Yes, there's a Russian word for "Klingon"!)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level