tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 14 16:46:47 2006

Re: choq vs. toD vs pol

Stephen A. Carter ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:52:15 +0100 (MET), Lieven Litaer wrote:
>how do you translate "secure"?
>
>I'm translating the following part:
><<<<
>He said "Secure your gear and follow me." I wasn't sure whether "secure your
>gear" meant bring your stuff or leave it behind.
>>>>>

>How do you translate "secure your gear" ?
>And even more complicated, how can I make it ambiguous as the english
>phrase?

Since no one else has answered, how about:

'oHbeH luchlIj'e' 'e' yIta'.

...Admittedly, it's not very elegant -- if it's even grammatical --
but at least the result is ambiguous whether the gear is to be "made
ready" to be left behind or "made ready" to be taken.  Or maybe even:

yI'oHbeHmoH luchlIj'e'.

Sticking an imperative prefix on a pronoun-as-werb is really
stretching what we're told in TKD 6.3, I realize, but maybe these
attempts will give someone a better idea.

-- Stephen Carter
   [email protected]
   Nagoya, Japan

Back to archive top level