tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 14 05:52:31 2006

choq vs. toD vs pol

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Okay, this next part is for nitpickers:
how do you translate "secure"?

I'm translating the following part:
<<<<
He said "Secure your gear and follow me." I wasn't sure whether "secure your
gear" meant bring your stuff or leave it behind.

How do you translate "secure your gear" ?
And even more complicated, how can I make it ambiguous as the english
phrase? If I'd say {DochlIj yItlhap}, there is no question wether I take it
or leave it behind. So I do not explicitly need a word for "secure", but one
that conveys the "joke" or the "idea" in the above sentence.

I found three verbs:
  {choq} vt. save, preserve
  {toD} v. save, rescue
  {pol} v. save, keep
one slang expression:
  {QaD} vi. (be dry) be safe, protected
and a noun:
  {Hung} n. security

other suggestions would make me happy.
And I'm not looking for a word-to-word translation like {luchlIj yI***}, any
other translation that conveys the idea would be nice too.

Quvar.